Monday, November 4, 2013

Slow cooker: Chicken enchilada chili (GF)

My older daughter has celiac disease. She was diagnosed in 2009, right around the time Willow was born (picture me, 9 months pregnant, watching my then-7-year-old daughter get put under for a biopsy, trying to calm Grandma and hoping the contractions I was feeling weren't the real thing — ha). Since then, I have, of course, researched gluten and all of its manifestations like crazy.

And fortunately, so much more awareness is out there now about celiac disease and gluten intolerance. More products are labeling for gluten now, and restaurants are also getting in on the act.

However, nothing really beats a home-cooked meal, and nothing beats that like a slow-cooked meal. I love my crock pot. Always have, always will. So when I discovered Stephanie O'Dea's website A Year of Slow Cooking, and realized that the recipes were gluten free, I was in heaven.

I randomly picked one that sounded good, tweaked it a bit, and the result was heavenly. I have included my version here, and linked to hers below. There is also no dairy in the recipe (the cheese is optional), so it's a great choice for my younger daughter who is allergic to milk. Also, if you're reading this on your tablet or phone, be sure to clean it off with disinfecting wipes before diving into the below recipe (because spreading germs is so yesterday).

Chicken Enchilada Chili


Ingredients


1 1/2 lbs chicken (I used fresh boneless, skinless breasts)
1 1/2 c. enchilada sauce
2 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes (garlic and olive oil)
1 15 oz can of pinto beans
1 15 oz can of kidney beans
1 tbsp dry minced onion
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Shredded cheese and plain tortilla chips if desired

Directions


Pour enchilada sauce and canned tomatoes into the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker. Add beans, onion and spices. Stir to combine. Place chicken on top.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. After 4 hours, remove chicken, shred with forks, stir back in. Continue to cook for another 2 hours or so.

If desired, top individual bowls with shredded cheese and crunched up tortilla chips when you serve the chili, of course, after wiping splatters off your phone if necessary.

Source


Slightly adapted from here:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/01/enchilada-chicken-chili.html

Let me know if you try it, and what you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment